Subject: Re: PIPEing
From: M D Cox <mcox>
To: [email-masked] (AMOS Mailing List)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 1994 15:50:28 -0400 (ADT)

>I'm not sure how the shell handles pipes - the easiest way to test it 
>would be to try it!
But where would the input be?  I mean, do I start a FOR NEXT loop and read
everything or is each line located at a specific address in memory, like
command line arguments?

>AMOS program to redirect it, but it's not a very good solution...  For 
>this kind of thing you're better off using C.
I thought you might say that.  :(  I can write it in C without any problems
just because it has special/standard facilities for STDIN and STDOUT.  I
just get tired of C at work.

>Here's a nice awk program...  (Dunno if it works in GNU awk, but it works 
>in System V...)
I will give it a try in GAWK.

>Any awk/grep questions, just ask! :)  (And here's something nice - search 
>for users with no password an a *NIX machine :
AWK is quick and easy to do, fortunateluy I have experience with it.

>grep '^[^:]*::' /etc/passwd
>Not that I condone this sort of activity... :)
Oh, neither do I . . . ;)

Mike
-- 
Michael Cox                             Work:   [email-masked]
A1200/120 w/1230XA 50/50/4 = SPEED!     Play:   [email-masked]
             For info on the AMOS Mailing List, contact me!
             For AMOS Pro news, finger [email-masked]